Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I noticed when I read April's "Entering the Conversation Essay" that she wrote:
I’m afraid that women’s blogs just don’t get the status or attention that men’s blogs do. Perhaps more personally, I’m afraid I might not have much to say that would interest anyone else. As a woman, I don’t really expect my words to interest anyone but other women (am I a dinosaur to think that way?). That concerns me: is it true, or am I limiting my own audience with my expectations?

I think that's a pretty powerful and important observation, that women's blogs do not get the same readership and treatment as men's blogs.

I suggested that April read Into the Blogosphere in a comment to her post, but I especially want to stress the article "Women and Children Last" by Susan C. Herring, Inna Kouper, Lois Ann Scheidt, and Elijah L. Wright, which discusses the way women's and children's blogs aren't valued in the same way as men's.

Oh, and April, I might suggest that you turn on "title" under your "settings" so that you can give each blog post a title. It's a little more aesthetically pleasing, and might increase readership if people see a provocative title.

Great essay, April!

3 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger April said...

Hey! Thank you so much for your observations. You caught the sore spot in my essay, even though I tried to bluff it out. I'll read the articles you recommend, and I'll look again at settings. I'm slowly figuring things out. I've checked out Paul Bausch's _We Blog_, but I haven't had time to do more than scan it!

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Lisa Ede said...

Interesting observation and response--thanks Michael!

April, Michael helped me learn some of the ropes on my personal blog space too!

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Συγχαρητήρια για το γεγονός ότι ένα από τα πιο εξελιγμένα blogs που έχω συνάντησα τυχαία σε κάποιο χρονικό διάστημα! Απλά απίστευτο του πόσο μπορείτε να πάρετε μακριά από κάτι μόνο και μόνο επειδή του το πώς οπτικά όμορφο είναι. Youve βάλει μαζί ένα μεγάλο blog χώρος μεγάλη γραφικά, τα βίντεο, τη διάταξη. Αυτό είναι σίγουρα ένα must-βλέπε το blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home